Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Let's go on a hike!

So, I tried hiking here in the Tetons. Both were ranger-led (those I find are the best, especially if you are new to the park). The first one was Sunday. The terrain was rather flat, but overall it was very good. The company, on the other hand, had a lot to be desired. They talked a lot (which is good to ward off bears) but they complained about a lot of stuff.  There was a family with a boy who touched everything. Well, in a natural park, we are asked to leave footprints and take home memories. This guy picked the flowers, plucked the trees, and complained about the hike in general. About halfway through, his mom took him and his brothers out. Yay! Then I had to listen to a family talk about drama. I hung close to a lady who talked about organic living, but that, too, got boring. I did learn (and share) that apple cider vinegar and water makes a great bug spray. So overall, it was interesting. But because it's so dry here, it was very dusty. I think I shook about 2 layers of the earth off my boots when I returned to the trailer. The lake with the large mountain in the back is from that hike.

The second hike was yesterday. You had to drive to the meeting place. On the way we saw 3 boy mule deer very near the campground. Cool! We also saw a girl moose and her calf (G saw one at another spot while I was hiking). The sad part about the moose was that we ran into a family on their way back to upstate New York who said they wanted to see a moose (we told them about our experience). They just drove past it when I spotted it and we stopped. The pic is a little fuzzy, but it's the only one we have.  On my hike (G went to town for supplies) I was with a better group (they were international:  Poland, Netherlands, Oregon, San Diego, and Virginia). Ran into a UVA dad and his son on the trail. You hike for about 2 hours total, but most of it was uphill. I had enough after the waterfall (they were going for another 400 feet up). I went back early. But it was a lovely day. The pic with the mountains and the lake is the one I had to cross to get to the falls. The spray from the falls is cool and refreshing (can you believe it's from the snows? Incredible!). Enjoy~






No comments: