Saturday, October 6, 2018

New Statehood!

Hi all! We have established our statehood in South Dakota, and everyone couldn't be friendlier. Starting from our host at the DMV to our hotel concierge, named for our home state, Virginia (not really, she was named for her grandmother). But she calls us her favorite retirees, and she has been very accommodating, even helping us get to know our new city for today's excursion and what to eat at the restaurant attached to the hotel (even the "secret door"). The only thing we haven't found is a polo shirt with South Dakota on it; but maybe we have to order it. I have to work on my accent, though. I asked the lady at the park if they had collared shirts. She thought I said "colored."
Hmmm. 😏


These are the gas stations in this part of the "world." They are like 7Eleven and Circle K. The reason I took a picture is because this is a medium (it's really a large in our part of the "world".), but if you can read the side of the cup, this company also gives 10% of their profits back to their community. Nicely done! AND they have fancy coffee machines where you stick your cup underneath and push the screen to what coffee you want and it fills it up!




We crossed the border yesterday, and you see how fast they are allowed to drive. Gary didn't want to drive faster than 70. The lady at the DMV said they drive 85. Wow! That's just way too fast. I guess they don't want you to stay long, lol! I took a picture of the temperature. That was around noon. Today's temperature was 50. Yep! Fall is here!
My official license! Yes, I'm an organ donor AND I registered to vote!





Falls Park 
The county is Minnehaha, which is Lakota Sioux for "Laughing Water".

You can walk downtown Sioux Falls and on either side of the street are various sculptures, called the Sculpture Walk. So I took some pictures of the notable ones.
Gary found Sasquatch finally; they are now friends on Facebook

A grizzly bear; stick a fork in him, he's done (he is make of forks!)

 
A seahorse

A rattelsnake

A giant shiny mushroom

a beautiful eagle

Titled "Music Over the World"

 Laura Ingalls and her dog

His pitcher is the wrong way to collect water!

The restaurant that takes care of us!

Thanks for coming with us to our new hometown. I hope you like it as much as us. Ya'll come back now!




No comments: