Saturday, July 23, 2016

Have you heard? There's a herd!

Hey all:

We went to a place called Lake View Drive to do a hike (called the Gold Mine Loop trail = 2.0 miles). On the way, we saw a big herd of elk on the side of the road. Mercy me! There were at least 8 babies this time. Cool! Then we saw them again yesterday evening. I sent a pic to LH. They were just right outside the truck. There are helpers from the rangers who make sure the elk don't get too far to the people. They use wooden blocks and clap them together. The noise startles them to move.



Aren't they gorgeous? And they just had no problem with people. Hard to believe they were re-introduced in 2000 and they've grown tremendously. Whoop whoop!

Then, on our hike, G spotted this lovely creature. I didn't see it because I was too busy watching where I was planting my feet (no telling when a tree root will trip you up). I missed seeing it, but I heard him. Cool!

We took a hike this morning on the Oconaluftee River Trail (3 miles roundtrip) then visited the mountain farm village that's on site. It amazes me how they used to live, using the land for survival. Amazing! 

Anyway, just chillin' today. We might figure out something else to do. I never get over the smells here. The way the water feels when you get close, the different wood smells, the wet earth after the rain, even the steam off the hot roadway. I know a lot of you are roasting at home (98 +); here, we are expected to be at 88. I know, tough, right? Somebody's gotta do it.  Ya'll come back!

No comments: