Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Heritage Life in the Straits of Mackinac

Hello all:

Yesterday we ate lunch at the Keyhole Bar. We both had a perch sandwich. Yum! And we washed it down with a local and an import:  Bell's Oberon (local) and Labatt Blue (import from Canada). They were both crisp and refreshing. Sometimes they serve the Oberon with a slice of orange. I guess you get your fruit with your fiber (wheat in the beer).

After lunch we ventured to a little known place called Heritage Village. It is a re-creation of a life in this area from 1880s to 1917. We took a self-guided tour. They have posts near the buildings with a  scanner for your cell phone to listen to the audio tour. We hooked up with a local family who let us listen in. I took lots of pictures, because I teach this stuff. I especially like the school. So each building has a picture of the inside. I thought it was neat they had a "quarantine house" for those that were sick. I think it was the Spanish Flu (it was bad around 1900), or just the silly mosquitoes bringing diseases. Hard to tell.

  Quarantine House
 
 Freedom School
(named for the now extinct town of Freedom)
 
 
 Mennonite House
 
 
 Fancy saw mill owner's house
 
 
 Church
Used up until 1960s. Now open for weddings or other life services.
 
 
After the village, we drove about 5 miles away to the McGulpin Lighthouse. I have included some pictures of the inside of the house. It seems relatively large for a lightkeeper's house. I have a picture of the reason they named it McGulpin as well as the lighthouses in the area (for all lighthouse fans).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
We are dining at a local establishment called Dixie's Saloon. It is a family-oriented place:  big, lots of tables, and I notice a lot of children here. The ferry parking is right next door. We decided to take it easy today since tomorrow is a travel day. We go further northwest to Tacquemenon Falls.
 
At our campsite we "hooked up" with a nice family next to us. Monday it was the daughter, husband and wife. By 6PM yesterday there was another daughter and husband/dog combo, sister + husband of the first couple and dog combo, college friends and their 3 children. They were expecting another grandson by 8PM. Wow! But they were very friendly and fun, made us a part of their group. They invited us to bring over chairs and make "me casa su casa." Muy bien! Then the king grilled steak and I made my way back to the airstream dream.
 
Well, I think this is my most picture-packed, dialogue-packed blog yet. I hope you enjoyed our walk through the Heritage Village and lighthouse. Tomorrow is a travel day, but I should post by the weekend. We are planning to visit Pictured Rocks on a 2 1/2 hour boat tour (I can hear the music/song already).  "Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a great tourist ship. That started from a tiny port aboard a picture ship." You get the picture?  Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments: