Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Elk Land

For all of you who followed along last year's trip, we are now following that schedule:  up early (before sunrise) to view wildlife, back at the camper after noon. Right now we are at Oconaluftee Visitor Center (Cherokee, NC) side of the park and viewing 5 elk in the field:  2 bulls and 3 females. There are about 140 total elk in the park (transplanted in 2001 from extinction in the park). Saw them with the headlights first and waited for the sun to come up over the mountains. Unfortunately, early morning pics don't look too hot with the camera, so we wait. Here are some to get you started. I'll have better ones at the next post.

 
 
Another thing I'm finding fascinating are the birds. I got started last year with our triple-park excursion, listening to the different calls. I know most of the ones that hang out at the house. It is really cool to see and listen to other species. They are really spectacular. I need to get a book to log the ones I've seen. Right now I am logging the colors and their songs so I can check with the brochure I have back at the camper.  So while we wait for wildlife (remember, it's not Disney so they don't show up on cue), I bird.
 
This is our campsite. We are about 50 steps by the river (Oconaluftee River). We slept with the windows open listening to it last night. The weather is very pleasant, and the campground is very clean. Not a lot of people here right now. We are here till the end of the weekend.
 
 
 
 
 
We are completely off the grid here. In fact, the park ranger laughed when we asked where to wifi. We have no TV stations, no radio stations, no cell phone service at the campsite. Cherokee is 15 minutes from the site, so there is civilization nearby. Yesterday, we needed to go to the store, so G sent me to a gas station to ask for one (the lady in the black box disappointed us). He said to make sure I got the name of the store (I guess in case it was a local grocery). So I asked the manager where it was and he told me the directions. And then I said, "By the way, what's the name of the grocery store?" He answered in a condescending tone, "Food Lion."  Here's your sign.  Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: